Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Crazy folk

Maybe this will be my last blog ever. You never know. I don't have much to say these days, but this one is too good not to put fingers to keyboard. I was on my way to my Vietnamese class this morning when this girl began talking to me. She immediately wanted to befriend me, to teach me Vietnamese. This has happened before. More likely scenario is she wanted a chance to practice her English.

Here's the problem - it's not a fair trade. Everyone offers this exchange of languages. I mean a private English tutor in Vietnam will run you anywhere from $15-35 an hour. A private Vietnamese tutor? I have no idea, but a friend back-in-the-day offered to teach me for $2 an hour. And I know where to find a quality language instructor for $10 an hour.

It's not about the money or who's getting the better deal. I could care less as long as equal time was set aside for both parties. Cause I do want to learn Vietnamese - despite it's lack of utility on a global scale. But, remind me where I am again?

Anyway, here are the details from our corresponding text messaging bonanza:

When i know you are here to learn VNese. I was so happy. This is the first time i've done sth like this. Don't be afraid of me, please. Can you answer me back in VNese? Hihi.. Talk to me everything you want. I'm really a good teacher. You'll see. It'll not waste your time at all, Tyler. Nice to meet you.

I can't remember what I wrote. It was so long ago. About two and a half hours ago now. I said something like Hi, it was nice to meet u too. I'm not afraid of u, don't worry about that. First time u've done something like this? Haha, i'm not sure about that. Have a good day.

Hihi.. I did it so good, right? Haha.. Whatever.. I just want to make friend with you.. Hope to see you again soon, Tyler.

You have a lot of VNese friends, so you feel nothing. But you r the most special friend i've ever have. I don't know how i did it? What make me so brave? Now, i feel so excited so that i can't take an afternoon naps as usual. Hihi.. Very very nice to meet you, my friend Tyler.

I'm the most SPECIAL friend u have? Haha! Yeah, i think u are skilled at what u did... What about ur teacher, u have his number too? Hehe

No, David is a teacher, not a friend. I can ask him about the lessons but I can talk to him so much. He has a lot of students, so he has no time.


David advised me to get a friend like you. I was trying to think how, and then i met you. Thanks God for bring you to me.


But Tyler, what do you think about me? about my purposes? Why you ask me like that? You make me sad. If you don't want to be my friend, it's ok.


I don't know anything about u and ur purposes. U seem like a very nice person, but maybe a little too forward? I cannot respond to so many messages. Maybe we will be friends, i don't know. Don't be sad about what i ask u, i'm trying to figure u out. It's a little strange. And since i'm not religious, i wouldn't thank god or anyone, i'd say it was coincidence.


I'm sorry to disturb you. Maybe i was so eager and it made you think wrong about me. Carefulness is never unnecessary. Enjoy your time when you r in Vietnam.

Listen...did not disturb me. Makes me a little wary...who is this girl i'm thinking? U don't need to write me a novel for a text message, it's a little frightening. I don't mean to offend u, if something happens, it happens. Don't rush it so much

Yes, Tyler. Thanks for your advices. If i have a chance to meet you (or s.o who is a foreigner) again, i will start in a different way. Now, i have to get back to work. You can go to my bank at...whenever you want, except mornings. In the mornings i'm in VUS school. I AM not a bad girl.

No comments: