Monday, December 17, 2007

A case of Bangkok belly


I don't know what the hell I got yesterday, but let me just be grateful it has mostly gone away. I woke up a bit queasy, a little headache and a little bellyache, but nothing I thought a small breakfast couldn't fix. Boy was I wrong. The watermelon smoothie and toast did nothing to help my situation. Instead of just breakfast, I got lunch & dinner too, but with a side of acid.

I was hoping to get out of Chiang Mai where I had been residing the previous 4 nights. After breakfast, I changed my mind after realizing a 3 hour bus ride would not help my situation. I thought it was imperative that I find some quiet accomodation and rest away the day. I was in bed from noon yesterday until 7 this morning and I'm still afraid to eat anything. And surprisingly, I'm not hungry - just a bit light-headed.

Being sick while traveling is not the worst thing that can happen. In fact, you almost expect it at some point along the way. I didn't think, however, that I would be incapacitated and sweat through two blankets. I still feel a bit out of sorts, but it's time to move. I can't stay here any longer and I know a bus ride is far more manageable today. I am heading north to probably do nothing other than have a change in scenery.

Yesterday, I was going to a meditation retreat for 2 days at one of the local temples, but it was cancelled this week. So I took that as a sign it wasn't meant to be. Maybe they knew I would be down for the count. Another opportunity may arise down the road. If not, I think I'll manage.

I hope my minibus up north has air conditioning and foot massages and plenty of leg room. I can't say I'm in the mood to have my knees squished. I'm not in the mood for a lot of things.

The more I keep writing I feel the worse this post gets so I am going to say goodbye for now. I have no energy to make this one interesting. Just send some energy my way so I can be back on track for tomorrow! Until then...

2 comments:

Annie said...

Feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

thailer!
don't know if you got my message before you left... but it went something like this:
"of course i understand! soooo much to do before leaving the country. have an amazing time and make the most of every moment.... blah blah.... hope to see you when you return...."

sounds as though you are already being challenged. sorry you caught a sick bug. yuck. though, i can confirm what you already know... that you are STOKED you're there! cause i can look out my window right now and see a bunch of tj checkers wishing they were enduring the temps of thailand. enjoy!!
e-mail me.... ktshortyz@hotmail.com
~katy