Sunday, December 30, 2007

I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything!


Well, so much for that. I didn't want to fill up my bag with a bunch of tourist tchotchke. Alas. It's only three weeks into my trip and I have failed. The problem is that everything is so cheap. A new t-shirt for $2? Nah, I don't need one, I already brought too many. But it's only $2! And it's cool. And I'm helping support the local economy.

These night markets are a staple in every town I've been in and they provide relief from some of those boring moments I discussed in my last blog. Ok, I'm bored, I'll go walk around the market again. The fourth time through, I can't help but look at that t-shirt and then I feel like an ass for not paying the measily $2. I figure it's worth it just to have something to do. And I even get something to wear as well.

I think in a sense it's kind of a desire to fit in. Everyone has to have a Beerlao t-shirt. Now I have two. Consumerism has got the best of me. Even after a day in Bangkok and seeing all the goods for sale, I realized I was going to fold and buy something eventually. All of a sudden I saw myself getting dreads, fisherman pants, a Che shirt, some Italian sunglasses and a beaded necklace. Everyone else is doing it, so why not me too?

Fortunately I haven't gone that far yet, but I have purchased three t-shirts, one "Long Live The King" bracelet (don't be jealous, seriously), one pair of flip flops, one pair of fake Birkenstocks, one embroidered children's book and one shoulder bag. And I haven't gotten rid of a thing! I was going to abide by my "one in, one out" policy, but I don't know what to ditch first. Probably the flip flops and fake Birkenstocks...things are cheap, but I can't say much about quality!

So now, my goal is to resist further temptation. I will likely fail, but perhaps I will succeed in not breaking the zipper on my pack. Ideally, I will only buy things like food & drink, accommodation, transportation and other forms of entertainment such as guided tours and massage. Things that provide memories. Things that fill my belly, not my suitcase. Just no more things!

No comments: