Monday, February 25, 2008

Beer

You would think I would have devoted at least one posting to food at this point. I don't think I have anyway. Let's just say the food is good. And let me get on with talking about beer. I am a beer drinker. Not a heavy beer drinker by any means, but a heavier one as the days go by. My consumption has increased, but it's not continually increasing, it's just higher than normal. I've plateaued. I love trying to rationalize the fact I'm not an alcoholic. Cause I'm not. I swear. By the moon and the stars in the sky. I swear.

I have even dabbled in whiskey, rice wine and don't tell anyone, even marijuana. It's okay, even our Presidents have done it and yes, they inhaled. I have to say I'm not the biggest fan of any of the aforementioned pastimes. They just don't do it for me. There is nothing that beats a big, cold beer on a hot day. Maybe a cheap, big, cold beer or sex in the shower - somebody is corrupting my mind I tell you - but seriously, a cold beer on a hot day, it is a great thing.

Ok, where am I going? There are a lot of beers over here. I feel like I am back home with all the beverage options. Sure, the choices are essentially limited to a number of light, crisp lagers, but being that it is hot virtually all the time, why would you want anything else?

For those inclined to wonder what has been guzzled over the past few months, let me create a list for you now:

Thailand
Tiger Beer
Leo
Singha
Chang
Laos
Beerlao
Beerlao dark
Cambodia
Angkor
Anchor
Asahi
ABC
Bayon
Crown
Vietnam
Bia Saigon green
Bia Saigon red
333
Larue
Bia Quy Nhon
Huda
Festival
Bia Hanoi
Bia Halida
Lao Cai

Ok, this is getting extremely boring. You have got to have some serious time on your hands. I apologize for the inconvenience. Southeast Asia is home to many beers. End of story. Almost.

Sure you can find Heineken or Carlsberg or some other variety that is always overpriced compared to the local brand, but why would you even go there? That's like eating Western food instead of the local cuisine and that is a shame. Unfortunately it is too common. Branch out. Try something new!

No comments: