Monday, February 25, 2008

The flag

Do you know what the Vietnam flag represents? Neither did I until recently. Do you know what the United States flag represents? Yeah, yeah, the stars represent the number of states and the number of stripes represent the thirteen original colonies. But can you tell me anything else? I couldn't come up with anything. That doesn't mean there isn't any more symbolism, it just means I'm not that educated in such matters and I'm okay with that. Maybe you can teach me something?

The Vietnamese seem to be more knowledgable about their flag. Maybe I just happened to talk to the right guy. And maybe he was full of shit, but I doubt it. Flags are everywhere over here and people seem to be pretty proud of their country. Quite contrary to the state of our nation. If you doubt this, I have to question who you hang out with and what planet you live on.

Ok, on with the story. The color red represents the blood the Vietnamese have shed for their independence. The yellow star represents the color of their skin. And the five-pointed star represents the five main continents that Vietnam considers their friends: America (as a whole, not just the USA), Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia.

Yes, I know Antarctica is technically considered a continent, but apparently the population was negligible enough for them to actually consider a six-pointed star. And while we are discussing technicalities, we all know that America is actually divided into two continents: North America and South America. Again, maybe they didn't want the six-pointed star. I like the five-pointed star better myself.

So, basically Vietnam wants to be friends with the world. That's what this guy told me. And I believe it. Everyone has been amazingly friendly to me. Well, except that one guy who gave me the death threat, but he has been an anomoly and let's not get into that right now.

No comments: