Sunday, March 16, 2008

Art everywhere

I stayed at this place that had an art gallery downstairs. There are a lot of art galleries around Vietnam. They make originals or they can make reproductions. There are tons of people churning out these copies, good quality copies, and they are cheap. I think it's cheap. How about $30 for a nice painting? Damn, if I knew I was coming home soon, I would buy a couple. Not like the one pictured above though. I don't like portraits unless they are heavily distorted.

Then there was this handicapped handicrafts factory. We stopped there on the way to some other tourist destination. It was a place to use the toilet and then maybe buy some art. These people were all disabled by Agent Orange or napalm or white phosphorus or dioxin or whatever poisons we used in the American War. That's what it's called over here. Naturally. Anyway, they have all these people working together busting out fantastic pieces of art. Lacquered pieces, inlaid pieces, I don't even know what all this means, I just know it was incredible. I was jealous. I am jealous.

The other day I was told of this guy who could carve your likeness from a block of wood for $3. I wanted one. You know, who doesn't want a bust of themselves out of wood? But the guy wasn't home. So sad. So much cool stuff going on over here. I suppose if I looked elsewhere, I would find it there too. Obviously I haven't. Maybe now I will start seeing art everywhere.

No comments: