Saturday, March 8, 2008

Time to change hotels

I had already pretty much decided it was time to find a new hotel. I had been in the same place for five nights in a row and it was time for change. It was time to splurge a little and by splurge I mean maybe have a bigger bed, a less crusty towel or perforated toilet paper. I tend to take the little things for granted and let me tell you, I will forever be appreciative of perforated toilet paper.

My room was situated on the first floor overlooking quite possibly one of the busiest streets in Saigon. If not the busiest, perhaps the noisiest. And my windows were paper thin allowing all of this noise into my room, which continually added to my level of sleep deprivation. But I had a good deal and sometimes, well, a lot of the time, I go for the bargain. I felt good about it. That is until even the locals were saying my room was cheap. I am a cheap bastard, I will admit this, but I don't want to be forever. It is not too late to change.

It was not possible to sleep without ear plugs. And even with them I couldn't go to bed until at least 11pm and I would always wake up before 6:30am. This area stays up late and gets up early. I got tired of re-inserting my ear plugs at three in the morning. I also got tired of ducking my head going into my bathroom. And the dark green curtains. And the little bugs I saw on the floor occasionally. And I began to feel a bit self-conscious being in the same place all the time, doing nothing. So I decided to move, to hide, to get a fresh start.

My decision was solidified last night when I began to hear yelling in the alley right below my window. I looked out just in time to catch this guy smashing a bottle over his head. The second one. And to see the blood pouring down his face onto his white shirt. He was stumbling and screaming and about to do something with a third bottle when this caring woman, presumably his wife, grabbed him in a bear hug and desperately tried to calm him down. It took a while. But it didn't take me long. I moved first thing this morning.




No comments: