Sunday, March 23, 2008

Hello, my name is Tailor

Ok, yes, that is a really stupid heading for my latest blog post, but whatever. My imagination has run dry. Please bear with me. And another thing, does this picture look as bad on your computer as it does mine? Man, my camera sucks. It is on the verge of breakdown. It is from the Dark Ages after all. Any camera donations will be accepted gratefully and will only allow you a better perspective of life in southeast Asia, from which you can either continue to live vicariously or get off your duff, quit your boring job and come meet me in Vietnam.

Back to the story. So, my name is hard to pronounce. I mean, I used to have trouble myself so I'm not surprised people have difficulty here. What's your name? Tyler. Tailor? No, Ty-ler. Tailor? Yes, Tailor. I give up. I am Tailor. Sometimes I just say Tiger. It's easier and given that it's a very popular beer over here, everyone knows how to pronounce it.

There are also many tailors in Vietnam so the word is fairly recognizable. I decided to get some pants made in my last stopover in Hoi An. The first place I visited, I encountered a couple that was upset with the quality there. I asked a few questions and decided to check around. Then later, I ran into the same couple who had found a good place. Sounded good to me so I went in and finally made some decisions. Two pairs of pin-striped pants.

I ran into the same couple again when I went to pick up my goods. It was then I realized they had actually recommended the place next door to the place I went. Ah well! The pants turned out ok, I am not overly fussed. Like nearly everything I have purchased on this trip, they probably won't last. I hope they do, but more than likely I will be placing them in a trash bin at some point. You would think I would learn from this.

I feel like the guy in the picture. Only half my head is there. Slowly losing my mind. Only I'm not that tan and I don't wear suits. I hope to regain my sanity and the rest of my head soon. But I think if I remember correctly, once brain cells are gone, they're gone. I might be dumb forever.


No comments: