Sunday, March 16, 2008

The simple life

We took a boat across the Mekong to one of the many islands. We ate lunch at this small fruit orchard and sat discussing the possibilty of the site for a homestay. A homestay is an opportunity for tourists to stay overnight with the locals and learn more about the culture. I wasn't involved in this discussion because I haven't quite picked up the language in six weeks. I just sat daydreaming.

Envisioning a simpler life. One with fewer choices. A simple life on the Mekong growing fruit and growing old. Not to imply that it would be an easy life. Just a simple one.

Everywhere we went there seemed to be an attractive, young, single woman. And she was always 22 years old. It was set up. It had to be! These guys I was with were always saying something to the girl and invariably it seemed like they were trying to make a connection. I considered the life again.

It didn't sound like a bad idea. Living on the Mekong in this lush environment with a nice girl, an abundance of fresh fruit and a warm tropical breeze. No cars, no commute, no alarm clock, no sweaters, no socks, no shoes, no service. I fell asleep over all the chattering thinking I could dig this. In my dreams I held a shovel.

No comments: