Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sleeper buses from hell

This is a sleeper bus. Three rows of "bunk beds" and one toilet. A toilet with no light and a puddle of pee all over the floor. And the smell, oh the smell, let me tell you about it! After a night's full of use, wow, the smell. It sucks when you're standing barefoot in the puddle because you have to take off your shoes on the bus and the sandals they have provided have somehow disappeared and then that smell is transferred to your "bed sheets" because there is no toilet paper or towel to wipe off your feet. Yes!

The bus is comfortable enough for one night, but not for three out of four nights. Which is what I did just to do it and get to Hanoi as quickly as possible without having to fly. Remember, I have time and not money. It is best to avoid beer (or any fluids for that matter) immediately before or during the bus ride so you can avoid peeing all over yourself in the bathroom.

Another thing to avoid on the night bus are the beds in the back. Because every bump in the road is guaranteed to be a pain in your ass. I almost hit my head on the ceiling multiple times and eventually resorted to using my seat belt, which made me feel like I was strapped to a gurney.
We only had two accidents on my bus trip to Hanoi, which made it seem like being strapped to a gurney might be a real possibility. The first accident occurred when the driver slammed on the brakes and we appeared to fish tail before veering to the right and hitting a sign, which decimated the right side view mirror (pictured above). Obviously could have been worse.

Our second accident occurred when one of the side windows randomly burst and shattered all over a resting passenger. Safety glass is a good thing I think. Could have been a result of structural damage from the first accident or someone throwing rocks. Whatever it was, it became even more difficult to sleep and I was sure we were going to end up overturned in a rice paddy. I regret not being able to tell you that story.

No comments: