Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My first wreck

It was inevitable. Bound to happen at some point. It just happened sooner than I expected. Rather unexpectedly. And I was on the slick pavement before you could say "Boom Boom." But I am ok, a little stiff around in the joints, bruised around the ego and scuffed around the elbows, knees and ankles.

I was on my way home from teaching. It had been raining and the roads were wet. And as much as I like to blame other people, I'll admit it. It was my fault. I was driving too fast for the conditions. I wasn't using my foot brake and I was trying to do two things at once. Never a great idea.

But still, she braked way too suddenly. And so I did too, but I had to release the pressure on the hand brake to prevent myself from potentially flying over the handlebars. The problem was she kept braking for no apparent reason. And so I had to slam on the brakes again and instead of slowing down just in the nick of time, I hit her back tire and slid with the bike onto my ass.

I got up almost immediately and stared in her direction as she looked back to see what just hit her tire. Bitch! I said under my breath while realizing I was just looking for an excuse. After realizing I was alright I also realized I should have had my foot on the rear brake. Would have probably kept me upright, but there's no saying for sure.

On the positive side of things, I learned some lessons. I'm not going to go into any great detail here. I also only ripped my least favorite pair of trousers. An excuse to go back to the tailors. And nothing else was damaged, well aside from some minor tweaks to the motorbike. Some repairable tweaks. I did ok I think.

It will happen again. It's only a matter of time. Now I'm ready. Bring it. Just kidding.

No comments: