Thursday, June 26, 2008

Vegetarianism

Why does it have to be so difficult sometimes? This trip has been surprisingly easy in terms of being vegetarian. There have been occasions, however, when I feel I am being put to the test. Like last night. And a couple nights before that. And two mornings ago. Fortunately, I know where to get good food and I'm usually at those places. Sometimes, it is necessary and fun to be amongst friends. And then I'm at the mercy of the menu of the chosen establishment.

Take my dinner a couple nights ago. I ordered the mixed vegetables and steamed rice. I ended up eating a plateful of bok choy and some carrot slices. Now, you might say, the menu didn't lie. It was in fact mixed vegetables. Yes, but it was clearly deceiving. And not satisfying. This is what makes people say, I could never be vegetarian. Neither could I if that's what I was expected to eat on a daily basis. Fortunately, I ate handfuls of peanuts prior to my dinner's arrival, reducing my overall level of agitation.

Let me give you one more example. Last night, I went out for hot pot. I knew I would have to order something individually as these types of things are never vegetarian. Not unless you go to an exclusively vegetarian restaurant. Duh. My mixed vegetable dish came out about as exciting as the one before. More bok choy, carrots, a spring of parsley and a couple twigs of broccoli. That was generous of them. But it was about as satisfying as a warm Coors Light on a hot summer's day.

This is why I can often be found at the same place day in and day out. Because the food is good. And cheap. And there is never a long wait. And I can practically order anything and be satisfied. Even if I may be addicted to soy sauce and chilis and pepper. It seems like I use more and more with each passing day. Maybe that's why I haven't tired of the rice. Because it's laden with salt and spiced so heavily it's always pleasing to the taste buds.

But I have no desire to be the antisocial creature that vegetarianism breeds in a non-vegetarian world. It's certainly a vegetarian-friendly world, but most people are not exclusively vegetarian. They typically abstain from meat only two days a month. So, not wanting to be antisocial means I will have to be prepared. I will have to bring snacks or eat beforehand. And I definitely have to have low expectations. Or I could just eat by myself where I want and talk to myself. Sometimes that works, but I'm not always good company.

No comments: