Sunday, July 13, 2008

Am I just a picky bastard?

Or does this tailor just suck? I went to them in the beginning because they were open late. It was near midnight and I needed a dress shirt for my class in the morning. To my amazement, they actually had one on the rack that fit me. I negotiated the price because that is what I do. And because it was a little dirty and was missing a button that was easily replaced.

Then the occasion presented itself again. I went in one late evening and bought the pink one off the rack. I didn't want pink, but the salesgirl said it looked nice and that's all it took. A lie. And I was sold. And of course, this shirt was negotiated for as well. It's hard when I'm used to buying my clothes at Ross Dress for Less and REI's major clearance sales.

I decided to get some shirts tailored. Some shirts that would truly fit me. Problem is I can't decide on anything for the life of me. Especially when there are rows upon rows of fabric. That doesn't look like a shirt! I just cannot envision it unless it is in fact an article of clothing. So I toss and turn and crinkle my face and narrow my eyes and eventually come to a decision. One that is still easily overturned in my head.

My first two shirts were really nice. They only messed up one thing. The length. Kind of an important thing. They would ideally be a few centimeters longer so they don't come untucked as often as they do. But they fit good and at $10 a pop, the price was right.

I went back for some more. Same as before, but longer. They jacked them up. They forgot to add the additional length. And my choice of fabrics was somewhat regrettable. These people were upset they screwed up the shirts. Blame was placed here and there and I thought I might see ladies brawl. But I calmed them down before any hair was pulled. They redid the shirts and they came out ok. I still look at them and cringe a little.

Recently, I was in need of some trousers. It's hard to find anything that fits that is pre-made. Well, aside from some nasty, pleated khakis that I had regrettably purchased a while back. I was willing to pay a lot more for something I actually liked. So, after checking around a little and feeling the vibe of various tailor shops, I went back to the old standby.

It was just easier. They already knew I was a picky bastard. But it was hard nonetheless to show my face in this place again. I said during the measurements, that I didn't want them tight. I don't want them chaffing my quads. They turned out as tight as my other pairs. Exactly what I didn't want! So, to my dismay, I had to have them redo them. They are now resting comfortably in my closet. But again, I am questioning my choice of fabric. I am starting to dislike going to the tailor. If only Vietnamese people came in my size!

No comments: