Thursday, July 31, 2008

Wreckage #2


I am an idiot, pure and simple. I need to learn to slow down. And enjoy the ride. Where the hell am I going that I need to be driving fast all the time? The scenery is so much prettier when you stop to smell the roses instead of constantly seeking an opportunity to pass the guy in front of you.

My 2nd wreck in as many months. What, do I have a death wish? Absolutely not. I really hope I can learn from this. And learn to be patient. I am patiently waiting for the bill from the motorbike repair shop. I am cringing at the thought of wiping out my savings, but it will be what it will be.

At least I didn't break anything. Or anyone else. It was a collision of magnitude. We both went down. It was one in the morning. No police were involved. Just a lot of curious and generally helpful Vietnamese. I didn't even see the guy coming until I was on my way to the ground.

We were both fortunate. I know I took the light as soon as it turned green. My impatience got the best of me. But I also know he ran a red. But everyone here runs reds. Even I do. It's as common as public nose picking. The question is, did he have his lights on? The answer is it doesn't really matter.

No comments: