Thursday, July 17, 2008

White boy on a motorbike

The sun is harsh over here. That much is clear. Knowing this, I prepared myself for my trip to Vung Tau. I worse a scarf around my face and a long sleeve shirt to protect my arms. I was not as smart as I thought. I left on my trip under the strongest heat of the day. Of course any exposed skin was going to get burned. Especially my pasty white skin.

I kind of realized as much during the ride, but didn't want to lose any ground to my fellow motorbikers. I was winning this race and was only going to stop to refuel. Typical me, never stopping to take in the scenery. But at the same time, trying to prevent unncessary exposure by just plodding along. So, I blasted full throttle at times, tears filling my eyes.

I made it in decent time. I really had no idea where I was going other than a general direction. But I can now say I have manipulated the highways of Vietnam. Or at least this one highway. And I learned it is necessary to wear pants when driving a motorbike for extended periods. And to apply some sunscreen on my hands. Or wear gloves if I can find any that fit...

No comments: