Thursday, July 17, 2008

Driving around the seaside

On my first full day in Vung Tau, I drove up the hill to the big statue of Jesus. I climbed the hill, realized how out of shape I was and exclaimed "Jesus!" Still far better shape than most of the people making the pilgrimage, but I can't be proud of this. I can't compare with others, only myself. Once I was in the arms of Jesus, I felt at peace, both loved and in love. My life now has meaning. Then once I rehydrated, I realized I was in a state of delusion and I ran down the hill as quickly as possible.
I peeled out of the motorbike parking area and drove around the waterfront to take in the scenery Vung Tau had to offer. Apparently, they like their statues. This one was the Virgin Mary, I think. Another ginormous monolith looking out to the sea. For some reason, as I was driving by, I was singing "Mother Mary comfort me, speaking words of wisdom..." Only now, I realize I had it all wrong. It really goes "Mother Mary comes to me..." Whatever. Let it be.
They definitely liked their statues. All forms of religion seemed to be present. There was probably a statue of Allah on the other side of the hill, but I did not venture any further. I had my fill of these monstrosities. It was time to let the breeze fill my spirit and lift me away to my own special place. Wherever that is, I don't know, but sometimes I find it and that's good enough for me.

No comments: