Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Eye boogers


They're endless in Vietnam. I can't even keep track how many times I am wiping the most enormous, the dirtiest, the darkest, the slimiest eye boogers from my eyes every day. It just has to be done. Any time, any place. Wipe them on the bed sheets, on my clothes or any other convenient location.

The eyes are absolutely working overtime. I just learned that we have this "organ" called the plica semilunaris around our eyes. It secretes a sticky fluid that collects any debris that has made its way into your eyes. And this debris is surrounded by the boogers to prevent our corneas from being scratched.

If it weren't for the plica semilunaris, I'd be blind by now. My corneas would be scratched beyond recognition and I'd be a foreign beggar on the streets of Vietnam. All of a sudden, I'm grateful for the slime that makes its home in the far reaches of my eyes. Thank you my friend!

No comments: