Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Out of gas

Last night, on my way home from work, I ran out of gas. I was borderline empty when I left for work so it was no surprise when my motorbike started sputtering. I had just cut through a gas station a minute prior to the onset of the laborious breathing. I was reminded then of my need for fuel, but figured I'd make it to the next spot down the road. I was wrong.

At the next red light, the engine gave me nothing. I was being passed by honking cars on my left and motorbikes on my right as I pushed myself through the intersection whilst remaining seated. Then I made my way for the curb. I barely had time to think through my options when a man, reclining on his motorbike, started motioning me to push my bike. Yes, yes, I thought. I will push it to the next gas station.

No, no, that's not what he meant. He came over and proceeded to gesture to me that he was going to push me with his foot to the next gas station. Genius, I thought! That's why I always see someone's leg up on someone else's motorbike. Either they're low on gas or out of it. My new best friend put up his leg and down the road we went.

The first gas station was under construction. Or something. No gas was available. Onward ho! Honking we went down Nguyen Dinh Chieu. I was laughing all the way. Well, inwardly laughing. The next gas station was closed as well. Something strange was in the air. This guy new his way around. We continued past Cach Mang Thang 8 and turned right somewhere and there it was. An open gas station. I rolled in.

Obviously the guy wanted money. And he was definitely going to get it. I immediately grabbed my wallet and handed him 50,000. It was graciously accepted. I filled up my tank, started up the engine and was off again into the starry night. Well, I'm sure there were stars somewhere. I went off with a smile and a slightly lighter wallet, but far richer indeed.

No comments: