Sunday, July 27, 2008

English teachers

Just a quick post about English teachers. They run the gamut. From highly-qualified professional folk to highly-unqualified unprofessional folk. As you might imagine. Anyone just trying to get by to make their living. I figure I fall somewhere in the middle and I'm ok with that.

One guy I know, who I actually like, just got a job paying around $19 an hour. Since he is from South America, English is not his native language and he has a discernible accent. He can't be in higher demand than me, can he?

Anyway, he told me he had a room available in his house. I was intrigued because it was a proper place to live. And it was cheaper than my guest house. And I would be farther away from the masses of expats that make up District 1. I told him later I was definitely interested in checking it out this weekend.

He responded back with a text. He needed to check with his roommates.

Ok ill talk with this guys

This guys? Or the guys? As it turns out, I was only happy for a minute. The next morning he sent me a text stating that the aforementioned room had been taken. It was the way this second text was written that was more cause for concern.

Hi friend sorry but the other room its already took

Yes, well, the quality certainly varies. I just hope he's not teaching grammar. He's still a good guy, but let's just hope he's teaching the ABCs or 123s. I think he can manage that.

No comments: