Friday, May 23, 2008

Teaching

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away. Actually, I don't recall thinking about my troubles yesterday. But I did think too much about teaching. I had my first "live" classes all to myself. They went ok. I'm just happy to be getting some real experience under my belt. And I hope, in the future, I won't spend all day procrastinating and fretting about how I'm going to perform in the bedroom. I mean classroom. Where is my mind these days? You know damn well where it is! It's always there.

So, I came home last night about 9:30pm after two 1.5 hour classes. Met the gang across the street from my hotel, stayed out too late, reviewed the material for this morning's lesson and went to bed at 1am. Woke up this morning at 6am after a night of tossing and turning and unnecessary anxiety over teaching young kids. But considering I had no idea how I was going to fill 2 hours with the material I had, some anxiety was warranted.

It turned out fine. These kids were cool and respectful, however dubious of my qualifications. They are legitimate qualifications - I just personally question how a four week course can make anyone a real teacher. Well, I suppose back in the "real world" or in my home country, I would not be a real teacher. But I am not there and therefore, this is unnecessary thinking. So in the meantime, I am slowly breaking new ground and experiencing the real world every single day as seen through my own eyes. Raw, live and unfiltered. With no airbrushing allowed.

No comments: