Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Amerika


There, I fixed it. Originally I had the flag flying upside down. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful so I changed it. Are you happy now? No reason for getting bent out of shape. I wasn't joining the mujadeen. I was just wondering why America, or the USA I should say (because we alone are not America) seems so backwards some times. Even if we are supposedly a "progressive, forward-moving nation." I read that somewhere, thus the quotes.

Sometimes I think we choose to do some things differently, even if we're wrong, just because we can. To keep proving ourselves. To keep saying fuck you to everyone else. It doesn't make any sense to change something if it ain't broken. You know what I'm saying? I'm not sure what I'm trying to say.


I'm not America bashing. We have it good. Even if it has come at the expense of others. Rising to the top usually requires bringing others down. Life is good and I don't have much to complain about. But after traveling for a while I have some questions.

Why don't we use the metric system? It makes more sense. Why do we use Fahrenheit instead of Celsius? Why do we call football soccer? Clearly football came first, you know, the game you play with your feet. So why did we change the name?

Why do we express dates in the MM/DD/YY format? Everyone else seems to put the day first, not the month. After all days make up months and months make up years. Am I missing something? Doesn't that make more sense?

And then let's discuss health care. Ok, let's not discuss it, that would be too complex and incredibly boring. But why don't we have universal health care? How did the pharmaceutical and insurance industries get so much power? And why, why, why do we only have a standard two week vacation? Who invented that one - I'd like to kick his ass.

The End.

No comments: