Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Food

There is a lot of meat in Vietnam. A lot of pig, chicken, duck, buffalo, fish, eel, turtle, dog, you name it, they probably have it. There is also a lot of vegetarian food, well not a lot, but enough. From fresh to fried spring rolls, noodle soup, fried noodle, fried rice and many many many fried vegetable stir fry variations. A lot of frying going on. A lot of salting. And a lot of MSGing. Naturally the food is pretty good. And if it's not, there's always pepper and hot chili sauce to drown the offending flavors into something more recognizable and palatable. Unless of course they have used fish sauce. Then you are screwed. It's like somebody shat in your food. To each their own - I can't stand eating shit.

If I am ever ODing on rice, which I often am, I usually find an Indian restaurant, some fruit or some cashews. Or I sit there and visualize a hot bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar, walnuts and raisins and a glass of organic orange juice. Or a steaming hot pita with a heaping plate of falafel, hummus and tabouli. Or a bar of fair trade, 80% dark chocolate. Or a double chocolate chip vegan cookie with a soy chai to wash it down. Or just a burrito with some fresh salsa and guacamole on the side. Oops, I just drooled on the keyboard. Oh, I'm getting horny just thinking about it. I mean hungry. Come on now.

No comments: