Friday, April 4, 2008

Sapa revisited

This is Sapa in the north of Vietnam. It is my favorite spot of all the places I have visited on this trip. It's all about the people. Very friendly, warm and beautiful. Well, except for one girl who spat and cursed 'fucking shit' every time she saw me. Not so warm and friendly. I've decided it's impossible to be friends with everyone.

For the most part, Sapa was like the above picture. Fogged in and chilly. But more often that not, it would clear by midday and the mountains would loom in the mist. Very mystical place and full of character. Reminded me of a Swiss ski chalet. Minus the snow. Not that I have much of a basis for comparing it to a Swiss ski chalet. I'm just using my imagination. We should all do that more often.

This is Sapa on a gorgeous day. Well, maybe not so gorgeous if you live in the village blanketed by fog. But this is so common, that I'm sure the people are used to it. The homes are small and built low to the ground to keep them as warm as possible.

I preferred the villages farther down the valley where it was warmer and the homes were bigger. I just completely relaxed in the warmer climate. I didn't take my clothes off or anything, I just felt very comfortable. At home you might say. My guide on the other hand, who was used to the higher elevations, found it too hot. I also found I really liked houses made with bamboo.

No comments: