Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hanoi part IV

I have been in Hanoi for six days now. Soon to be leaving on a jetplane, don't know when I'll be back again. I do like it here, but don't like to be doing absolutely nothing. Which is what I'm doing. Or not doing. Whatever!

I missed an opportunity to take this teaching English as a foreign language course because I kept procrastinating. Nothing unusual there. Oh, I'll fill out the application form when I get to Hanoi. Yeah, good idea. They were full. I snoozed, I losed.

So, that left me with option e, which was to take another less reputable course in Ho Chi Minh City the following week. Seeing I had no other options other than to remain idle, which I've had my fill of, I decided to register for the course.

Now I'm heading back to the extreme temperatures of the south when I can barely handle the heat and humidity in the north. I will seek out air-conditioned environs whenever possible. I will be taking an afternoon siesta. I will take advantage of the early morning and early evening hours. Otherwise I will just be a giant ball of greasy sweat.

Back to doing nothing. I have had six relatively lonesome days here in Hanoi. I think I have taken five photographs. I don't feel like a tourist anymore, but I certainly look like one. I have been reading a lot. I just totally lied. I have been spending a lot of time on the Internet. I have been wandering aimlessly. I have been eating too many sweets.

And for whatever reason, I cannot seem to breathe. I haven't had this much trouble since I was in Little League trying to catch my breath before I dug in at the plate. I think they took me out of the bubble too early when I was a kid. Now, the troublesome inhalations are back and I don't know the exact cause.

It could be anxiety. I have a lot of that when I'm not sure what I'm doing. It could be the heat. The lack of exercise. The air pollution. The food. The women. I mean, they do tend to take my breath away. But really, I think they make me breathe harder if anything. Maybe I need a woman. You think?

No comments: