Sunday, April 13, 2008

Street vendors in Hanoi

Yum, yum, yum! Surely you don't think I'm serious. I'm definitely never serious. And please don't ever call me Shirley. These pigs and ducks were as common on the streets in Hanoi as were dead rodentia. I preferred to see the dead mice or rats than the horrified expressions on some of the birds that looked like they were boiled alive. Or perhaps were taking their last gasp of breath when their expressions were frozen in time. I actually became quite accustomed to seeing stuff like this and it really didn't bother me. It is life after all. Reality. The facts of life. You take the good, you take the bad and there you have...the facts of life.
These were some of my favorite street vendors. Even though I never bought any flowers, I loved seeing all the colors in the enormous basket on the back of a bicycle. And I love the way that people sell things on the street in Vietnam. You are never too far from someone selling what you want. That person is busy? Well, try around the corner and there's probably another person. Sure, there are the annoying people hawking shit you wouldn't take if it were free, but again you take the good, you take the bad and there you have...

No comments: