Tuesday, April 1, 2008

When animals attack

This is not a picture of the buffalo that went wild. There is no way I would have tried to take another picture of that guy. I don't know why he went nuts, I'm just glad he was tied to a short rope and that the rope didn't break. Because otherwise I would be broken.

I have seen a ton of water buffalo throughout southeast Asia and they have always seemed quite tame. Not like the bison in Yellowstone from which you are warned repeatedly to keep your distance. I have bicycled by a herd of buffalo, walked by them in the streets, you know, have just became accustomed to their presence. That was until the other day.

I just wanted a close up of his face with the rope coming out of either nostril and the accumulation of snot on the knots. I asked my guide if she thought it would be okay and as it was, I approached with my camera. As I looked into the viewfinder to frame my shot, I could see this great hulking beast lunging at me from the corner of my eye. He was not a happy buffalo.

Fortunately I was only horned a little on the arm and the rope pulled taut just in time. I jumped back inspecting for damage, breathing heavily and sighing a major phew! Everyone from my guide to the local villagers were surprised by what happened. The buffalo was still chomping at the bit and trying to break free from the rope that kept him in check. I was happy for the rope and for it's strength and for not having a heart attack.

Later on our trek, we passed many more buffalo and I am not the same. They are not the big, friendly giants I had assumed them to be. My guide Ker and I had a good time trying to scare each other with each buffalo we saw. I couldn't help doing a quick visual scan to see where I would try to hide every time. Thankfully from there on out, it was only our imaginations that were running wild.

No comments: