Friday, April 4, 2008

Trekking

I went on a three day "trek" on my second visit to Sapa. I say "trek" because the word seems to imply something more hardcore than what we were doing. It was hiking and staying overnight in local villages. I'd say a three-day outing would be more appropriate, but still, that doesn't properly describe the situation either. An outing is a better word to describe a picnic and this was no picnic.

This cat was a member of my guide Ker's family. From now on I will reference Ker as my friend and not my guide. Just so you know. Even this cat seemed to have something mystical about it. Probably had something to do with the light filtering through the window. To me, it even looks like he meows a different language. Who knows, maybe he does.

Disclaimer: I did not actually turn this cat upside down to check its genitalia. I assumed it was a male cat, but I could have equally assumed the opposite. Sorry. I am a man. Sometimes I tend to use the word 'he' before I use the word 'she'. And I never use 'he/she' or 'he or she' because I hate that. It just doesn't flow.

I like this picture, that is all. Some kind of weed with a guy plowing in the background.
And, well, same goes for this picture. Taken from the window of our room of the misty mountains and a neighboring home. Maybe that didn't need saying.
Rice paddies everywhere. I love this landscape, but not this picture. Not so much - it is just okay.
This is Ker surveying the scene from above. We had just hiked from Ban Ho and were on our way to Thanh Phu and then to Nam Sai. It was time to take a breather. We took many a breather along the way in between bouts of me slipping and falling on my ass. It was pretty funny. You definitely had to be there.
Not only rice is grown in these parts. They had recently planted corn and they also grew potatoes and other greens. The food was good. I only had corn once mixed with rice and it must have been a different variety from the one grown back home. The kernals were huge. That's what she said.
There were hot springs in the village of Ban Ho. This was my favorite village due to it's location down the valley, which always tended to get more sunshine. That is a definite plus for me. The "hot" springs were actually lukewarm, but it was still a nice place to relax in the late afternoon. I'm sure it was a nice place in the morning too, but I can't say for sure.
It was sad to leave the village on the third day. It was piping hot and I sweat through my tank top. That never happens. Normally it's just my underwear.

No comments: