Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mangosteen

Have you ever heard of a mangosteen? Yeah, yeah, you know what a mango is, but I'm talking about a mangosteen. Still clueless? To be honest, I had only heard of them. I had no idea what they looked like until I finally realized what these guys were hawking from their bicycles.

Look at the picture. They are purple. And they are expensive. I can't say what they taste like because I have yet to introduce them to my salivary glands. I want to, but I've been busy. And that for once, is not a lie. Only a partial fabrication and by that I mean I have been busy, perhaps not busy enough to prevent me from buying one, but still.

Anyway, I'm just babbling. And now two weeks later, I'm back. Really. I felt like I couldn't write about mangosteens if I hadn't actually tasted one. I finally tried one and unfortunately, I still can't tell you what they taste like. I prefer jackfruit, dragonfruit, mango, the list goes on and on. These suckers are expensive apparently because they produce only one time a year. They start at exorbitant prices, as high as 200,000 vnd per kilo. That's about $12. Now they are about 50,000 vnd per kilo or $3.

There are companies selling mangosteen juice online for about $40 for less than a liter. It is touted as the latest and greatest cureall. I haven't tried it and at those prices, I probably never will. The phytonutrients will overpower your body's store of toxins and create a new you! You will be cured of your chronic diarrhea, your runny nose, your internal strife and your wife's menstrual cramps. It does it all!

I have a new friend who loves them. She bought a kilo and finished them off. Well, she shared them. It's good to know people indulge the way I do. All the way. Dang it, you only have a big pack of Oreos? I guess I have to eat them all. You're only selling an entire pineapple? Ok, twist my arm. Oh my goodness, you just served me enough rice for a family of four! Well, I wouldn't want it to go to waste...

No comments: